July 29, 2011

The Little Things

As much as I wish my life were a fairytale, it quite simply is not. Thanks to the effective persuasion of my counselor, I have begun to acknowledge and deal with the tragedy that was most of my childhood. Things that are extremely unpleasant and have long been forgotton (or pushed out of mind) have resurfaced and presented themselves as facts that must be dealt with. I have learned, however, that our desire for a better world full of love and perfection is God-given. We truly were meant for better than this. Thankfully, we are not alone or completely surrounded by devastation and depression - regardless of what I may think sometimes. We are fortunate that there are still good things in this world - beautiful things.

I think it is extremely important for us to acknowledge the beautiful things in our lives. The things that give us the teeny-tiniest glimpse into what it will be like when evil is no more. For me, these things include the exultant joy and love that permeate the weddings of close friends, the peals of laughter from a 1-year-old girl simply because she sees me come through the door, and the "singing" of a boy with Downs Syndrome who loves and responds to music better than almost anything else.







Regardless of the things that I have endured in the past or the difficulties I face in the present, I am constantly encouraged by these gracious gifts. I am not nearly as grateful as I should be, but I am so glad that among all the sadness there is hope - a glimpse of the beauty that is possible, and a promise of the joy that is to come.

1 comment:

  1. Love you Jessie. I know it is hard to face hard childhood memories and realize what really was. I will be praying for you as you go through the sadness. And praising God that He only helps deal with what was to show us what doesn't have to be anymore. He straights our path and leads us towards GOOD things!
    I have a fun craft for us to do. Saw it the other day and thought of you! :)
    And I love the picture of you and Tonya, especially since Jessica is the background and looks like she is saying, "oh no you didn't!". :)

    ReplyDelete