December 1, 2010

45 Hours in a Car

It takes approximately 21 hours to drive from Asheville, NC to Machias, ME. This does not include stops, traffic, and the like. For spring break a couple years ago, Chris, his mother and I drove the whole way back all at one time. I would not recommend this. So, the Saturday before Thanksgiving, Chris and I joined both of his parents and his 25-year-old brother for a trip to Maine in a very compact Hyundai Sonata. (thank you, rental car company for not having the size car we asked for)




Of course when I was driving, everyone fell asleep. :)

The two days of driving there and the two days of driving back were rather long, and I think some of my leg muscles have deteriorated due to lack of movement, but our stay in Maine was wonderful! It was very cold and wintery, of course, but Chris' aunt's house was warm, there was tons of great food, and wonderful company.


Blueberry Pie!!



The biggest adjustment that we had to make was that because we were so far north, it started getting dark around 3:15 and was completely dark by 4:00pm. Not only did this totally throw us off, but it meant that we had to start our activities early in order to make sure we finished by dark-time (it wasn't night).

Hiking





Shopping in Eastport







Sightseeing in Machias






Chris' aunt's house

It was a very relaxing, enjoyable week. We had our Thanksgiving meal at Chandler River Lodge, built in 1795. It was probably the fanciest Thanksgiving I have ever had - multiple courses and wine! All in all, I can say that I am very thankful for such a wonderful "new" family. God has blessed me with such loving in-laws, and I very much enjoyed getting to spend time with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment