December 15, 2011

Coasters

Due to the lack of funds in the Meriwether household, I have been getting really creative with Christmas gifts. I love giving gifts - I just don't always have the money to buy them. But I can make them! I also like to make practical things for others - I don't presume to know their decorating styles and what they will/will not like. So, I decided on making these clay winter coasters! They're not perfect, but that's part of their charm. :)


I used holly sprigs and berries, and some clippings from our Christmas tree. You're supposed to be able to roll the clay out, but the clay I had was super moist, and the wax paper I had simply wasn't up to the task. So, I decided to take out my frustrations by hand-pounding the clay (hence, the unevenness of the coasters).



After they dried, I lightly brushed paint on them to make the impressions stand out a little more. Surprisingly, my perfectionist tendencies kind of go out the window when I'm doing artsy things. Like somehow I can turn it off when there's art involved, and I can appreciate the imperfection as something beautiful. So here's to my 6 sets of 4 imperfect coasters! Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. I love these! I love that they are "imperfect"-I think it makes them more artsy. I am afraid of clay, so kudos to you. :-)

    ReplyDelete