April 19, 2010

Ordinary Beauty



This weekend I went on our church's women's retreat to Ocean Isle, NC. It was a beautiful weekend, spent with beautiful women. We learned to see God's plan and purpose for our lives in the everyday, ordinary things. As we're washing dishes, cooking, folding clothes, writing papers, taking tests (all of which I do plenty of), we shouldn't be thinking "God, I will do something great for you, if you'll just give me something great to do." We so often take the world's definitions of "success" and "accomplishment" instead of God's perspective. Often times it is those small, everyday things that equal greatness in God's eyes.




This is quite mind-boggling to me, since I have pretty much been an over-achiever my whole life. This is not something that I am proud of, because it often means that I put my achievements over and above Christ. To even think that my calling in life might be something that I find very plain and ordinary shakes me up a little bit. Especially as a college student, I'm surrounded by "be all that you can be" and "aim for success" (which, translated, means make lots of money).

So there is pride and greatness in washing dishes? Maybe not in the task itself, but in the attitude in which I do it, and the way in which I serve my husband. I want to grow as a woman of love- as someone who wants to fulfill her grand purpose in life, even when she doesn't think it's so grand. Whew. That's going to take a little getting-used-to. :)

As far as the retreat goes, we had an amazing time! A group of us got inducted into the crazy animal club for running into and swimming in the freezing ocean!



When you're a part of the crazy animal club, you get animal crackers!

No comments:

Post a Comment