May 24, 2010

Slainte!

I just spent 2 amazing weeks in Ireland, and thought I would share some of the highlights - some being the key word here. We traveled around 1,500 miles in 2 weeks, and saw approximately 50+ sights. Whew!

1. Kissane Sheep Farm: Along the Ring of Kerry in the southwest corner of Ireland, there is the cutest sheep farm! It is actually the family farm of our tour guide's brother, and they gave us a sheep dog demonstration, sheared a sheep, and told us about farming in Ireland.







As a class, we adopted a baby sheep who had just been born 13 hours before we arrived, and we named him Prowler. He was sooo precious!



2. Giant's Causeway: The day we went to see this, we had absolutely gorgeous weather! This is an area where volcanic rock from years and years ago has been pushed up out of the ground. Curiously, the rock has come up in hexagonal pillars, and juts out into the sea. It reminds me of those toys with the metal pins that you push your hand in to make an imprint.









We hiked above the causeway along a cliff, and saw some breathtaking views.





I will talk about a few more highlights in another blog- this is enough image uploading for me for one day. I'm trying to get over my jet-lag and jump right back into normal life today. It's quite an ambition, let me tell you. I wish I had a week to get myself together, but life simply is not that kind. :) I will be working and job hunting (a combo I haven't experienced yet) this week, so wish me luck!

P.S.- Slainte is "cheers" in Gaelic. It's pronounced shlonta. :)Learn new things every day!

1 comment: