March 29, 2011

Questions

I typically think of myself as someone who is not easily shaken. By the age of 21 I have had my fair share of struggles and extremely difficult situations (as have many other people). As a student who is going to be working in the nonprofit field, I am often confronted with various images and stories that would break anyone's heart. I often think that I know way too much about the world than I would like to. It's not exactly the kindest of places.

Even still, there are the occasional times when something comes along and you stop and ask "Why?" Why are some things allowed to happen? As a scientific and inquisitive species, we are always looking for answers, and sometimes there are none. We don't always understand. I don't always understand. These things just don't make sense. Sometimes you are confronted with something that brings back a flood of memories that you had worked so hard to suppress. You don't want to think about those things, but now you can't get them out of your head. Since I never had the privilege of counseling or therapy, this might be God's way of counseling me. Making me deal with things. Past things, but pretty-big-deal things. Thanks a lot God.

Even while my brain tries to make things work and make sense, my heart tells me that they never will this side of heaven. All I have is the promise that God is sovereign and that He works all things to be for our ultimate good. My idea of my "ultimate good" may differ from God's, but I trust Him. He has never failed me, and I know that He never will. My comfort and peace rests in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment