May 16, 2011

Summer Reading

I absolutely love to read, and am so excited to get back into it this summer! The past couple of years my reading progress has been greatly stunted by the immense amount of academic material forced upon my brain. Blech. Professional journal articles are not conducive to enjoyment OR staying awake, for that matter. BUT with a public library card and a Barnes & Noble within walking distance, I am set for the summer! I may even make a little trip to Ed McKay's used books in Greensboro (best place EVER).

Here's my list so far (let me know if you have any suggestions!) This may look a little ambitious, but I am a fast reader and so far have no job, sooo....

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Being poor, Chris and I are waiting until the movie hits the dollar theater to see it, so I'm trying to read it before then. And of course, the public library has like 13468 holds on it (a.k.a. I won't get it for 4 years) so I will be spending multiple hours in Barnes & Noble to read it for free. :)



Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
I've read the first 4 chapters or so, but really want to finish it. It's one of those that you can only read one chapter at a time.



Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
My mom read the whole thing to me when I was younger. I remember her crying at the end of the chapter where Beth dies, and I remember thinking "this is sad, but why is my mom crying?" haha I think I may have read it another time since then, but it's been way too long. Time to read it again!



Religionless Christianity by Jeffrey Pugh
Again, a book that I started but haven't finished. It's about Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a German Christian during WWII who, because of his religious convictions, attempted to assassinate Hitler.



Persuasion by Jane Austen
A classic. And I love Jane Austen. And one of the books I managed to read for fun this semester was Pride & Prejudice. And I truly am a romantic at heart. Need I say more?



The Sound and The Fury by William Faulkner
Because we own it and it's one of the top novels of all time.



So yeah, I'm gonna start with these. And if I really get into a book, I can go through it pretty fast, so I will most likely be adding more soon. It only took me 5 days to read all four Twilight books- very sad, I know, but it was spring break and I felt like I needed to catch up to popular culture since I hadn't seen/read any of them :) So again, I am open to suggestions! No-obligation summer reading, here I come!

3 comments:

  1. Of coarse I have a ton of suggestions for other books you should read... however, as expected they are non-fictions about war or military history so I'll retain myself. I will say that you've got an impressive skill being able to read four books (referring to the Twilight series) in just 5 days. I hope you enjoy the books and can find plenty more before I end up throwing a suggestion or twenty at you. Chris and you better enjoy your summer. You both earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm going to try to read this summer too! maybe you can rub off a little of your love for reading onto me? k thanks :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picks! I've never read the Sound and the Fury though. My summer reading is reading Harry Potter all the way through. I have this psycho plan to read each book and watch each movie up until the last one comes out in July. Nerd.

    ReplyDelete