May 31, 2011

Mt. Mitchell

In June, Chris and I are going to Wyoming to go backpacking with my dad and a few other guys for a week. We are climbing Gannett Peak - the highest peak in WY. This equals lots of training. A weekend or two ago, I did a training hike with my dad and a family friend. Dear Lord. If that hike did not help me lose some fat and build some muscle, then I give up. Here's the low-down:

5.6 miles with 50 lb. packs STRAIGHT UP...



Sucking lots of air and water...


(This actually resulted in me getting the hiccups like 20 times)

Rejoicing with all of my heart when we get to the top (but not really looking like I'm rejoicing) ...



Pouring the water out of the 6 2-liters I was carrying and clomping 6 mi. back down to the bottom. Whew! Needless to say, I was tired. But, I will admit, actually hiking on a trail up a real mountain is waaaayyyy preferrable to repeatedly hiking up and down the stadium stairs at school and "backpacking" the greenway like a hobo. I will be ready for this trip, and I will look like an absolute fool doing it. Anyone wanna join? haha :)

No comments:

Post a Comment